Hello, my name is Andrés Martínez, Immigration Attorney here at Bailey & Galyen. February is the month of love. But many Americans are not able to celebrate with their true love, because they may be found overseas.

Luckily, Bailey & Galyen can help you. We help many US Citizens petition for their wives or their fiancees with a K-Visa. The K-Visa process is a two-step process. The first, is to petition your spouse found overseas, or your fiancee with a fiance petition. Then, after a few months, once that petition is approved, you have 120 days to then do the consular processing step. In the consular processing step, your fiance or spouse would interview in the US Consulate in the country where they reside. After that, the fiance then gets approved and gets to come to the US. The applicant then has 90 days to marry the US Citizen. If the two parties marry, then they can apply for the Green Card.

Right now, K-Visas are very popular. Luckily, USCIS has shortened their time frames to expedite these processes. However, many people are filing for K-Visas, causing some delays.

I encourage you to visit with us so we can explore the K-Visa process. We have worked with many US Consular offices in many countries, and we can definitely help you get your loved one here.

L Visa for Intracompany Transferees

Hello, my name is AAndrés Martínez, Immigration Attorney at Bailey & Galyen, today I want to talk to you about the L visa for Intracompany Transferees.

The L visa is a non-immigrant visa that enables a US company to transfer an employee from one of its affiliated foreign offices to one of its offices in the US.

The L1A visa is for executives and managers, while the L1B is for foreign employees with specialized knowledge being transferred to their company’s US office. With either visa, the foreign employee can immigrate with their spouse and children.

The US company and the foreign company must have a qualifying relationship, that is, one has to be the subsidiary, branch, or parent company of the other. And the foreign employee must demonstrate one year of employment in the last three years prior to applying.

In the last few years, US Citizenship and Immigration Services has been scrutinizing L visa applications. This is not a project that you should undertake on your own.

I encourage you to contact us to set up a consultation to evaluate your company’s likelihood of sponsoring an employee abroad through the L visa. Thank you.

VAWA aka Violence Against Women

Hi my name is Patricia Barbee, I’m the managing attorney of the Immigration Department here at Bailey & Galyen, and I’m here to talk to you about Immigration Law today. Today I want to talk to you about one of the lesser known benefits of Immigration Law, that was designed by Congress to protect immigrants, who find themselves in a dangerous or abusive situation, who are perhaps married to a permanent resident or a U.S. citizen. Unfortunately, some people do enter into marriage and find that things are not as they were promised, or as they hoped that they would be. Sometimes immigrants abandon status that they already have for marriage to a U.S. Citizen, and find themselves in a situation where they’re now out of status, and their spouse is using their lack of status to control them, or to be abusive to them knowing that this person will be afraid to report any kind of abuse, for lack of immigration status.

Congress created something called the Violence Against Women Act, to address many situations, but also particularly this one. It’s short, it’s called VAWA, Violence Against Women, it does not only apply to women, it applies to any spouse of a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident, who is being abused or mistreated emotionally or physically by that spouse. It can also protect children who are abused by a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident stepparent. And even, actually I believe it can apply to parents of an abusive U.S. Citizen or permanent resident who have no status. So, basically when a person marries a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident, that U.S. Citizen or permanent resident should set about filing a petition to immigrate their spouse. That’s called adjustment of status if it’s done here in the United States or Consular Processing if you have to go through the Consulate in your country. But, if that spouse is not cooperating and is not filing for you due to a desire to control or mistreat you, there is a remedy where if you, the abused spouse, without status, want to file for yourself, that’s available to you. So basically, you file a self-petition, an I-360 VAWA self-petition. And in this petition you document the mistreatment and abuse that you’ve received. Your word is sufficient, if you are convincing in your personal statement to immigration that can carry your burden and you can be approved. Of course it’s always better to have more evidence. If you have police reports, if you have letters from neighbors or friends who have witnessed mistreatment by your U.S. Citizen or permanent resident spouse, that’s always good to include.

The bottom line is though, you do not have to be held hostage or feel that you are kept captive to your abuser. There is a way out of the situation, and you need to seek counsel from an experienced Immigration attorney who has worked on these cases and knows exactly how to document them. And you may find yourself a couple years down the line, free of that abusive situation and with a green card. If you’d like to learn more about this, please call and make an appointment with me, at Bailey & Galyen, and I will explain all the details, and we can go from there. Thank you.

Public Charge Policy

Hello, my name is Andrés Martínez, Immigration attorney here at Bailey and Galyen. Today, I want to talk to you about the new Public Charge policy taking effect on October 15 of this year.

This new policy will make it more difficult for individuals applying for Adjustment of Status to obtain their permanent resident card. The Department of Homeland Security will be able to take into consideration many factors of an applicant’s life to determine if they are worthy of becoming a US resident, such factors include: the applicant’s age, health, education level, English-speaking ability, the applicant’s credit score, whether or not they’ve filed taxes, financial status, size of family, skills and employment, among others. Moreover, the new rule will define a public charge as a person who receives any number of public benefits for more than a total of 12 months over any 36-month period of time. Such public benefits include Medicaid, SNAP, Section 8 housing, and cash aid such as TANF and SSI.

Remember that this new rule will mainly impact those seeking permanent resident status through family member petitions. It does not affect individuals who are already residents who are trying to naturalize.

Please come see us so we can discuss this new law and the effects on your case.

Military PIP

Hello, my name is Andrés Martínez, Immigration attorney here at Bailey and Galyen. Today, I want to talk to you about Military Parole in Place, or PIP for short.

Military PIP allows a foreign national who entered the US without authorization to obtain status for one year. Parole is considered a lawful immigration status for purposes of certain immigration benefits, such as obtaining a Green card.

You may be eligible for PIP if you are the spouse, widow, parent, son or daughter of:

An active-duty member of the US armed forces;

An individual in the Selected Reserve or the Ready Reserve; or

A military veteran (living or deceased) so long as the service man or woman was not dishonorably discharged

The Trump administration is seeking to terminate the PIP program, so if you believe you are eligible, come see me to discuss your situation.

I encourage you to call our offices to schedule a consultation with me. Thank you.